The Instructor: Shannon Buckels
What apps are on your child’s phone? What social media are they using? What age should a child have a smartphone? Digital technology is an excellent tool to make and enhance social relationships, however, it can also expose our children to risk.
This class will discuss:
• The current impact of bullying in schools
• Current apps kids are using and what you need to know about them
• Risks associated with popular social media sites
• “Sexting” and online predators
• How to set expectations and consequences
• How to monitor online activity and find secret Instagram accounts
• How to talk to your child about pornography
• Parental controls and privacy settings
FOR PARENTS ONLY. NO CHILDREN ARE ALLOWED IN THE PRESENTATION
Shannon Buckels is a School Resource Officer for an Orange County police department. She is assigned to the high school, continuation high school, junior high, and six elementary schools in her city. In her 19 years in law enforcement, she has worked 12 years in Patrol, 4 years as a K-9 handler on a regional narcotics task force, and 3 years as SRO.
Clay Cranford’s book, Parenting in the Digital World, will be available for sale at the event. $20.00 (cash or credit card).